RE: Locating buried documents?

Subject: RE: Locating buried documents?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:35:24 -0400

John Posada wrote on 05/24/2006 10:58:00 AM:
> I'm not sure what Kathleen is looking for. She said her Six Sigma
> greenbelt project was to fix the help...not COULD it be, but that it
> was. If it is the project, then it needs to be done according to the
> Six Sigma guidelines.

> If she's looking for any old solution, then it isn't a Six Sigma
> project and whether any of the proposed solutions will work or not is
> a crapshoot.

Hmm. That's what's wrong with most Six Sigma implementations. The temple
is built and all must worship it...

Six Sigma methods are designed for analysing an existing system,
identifying bottlenecks, and evaluating proposed changes. Not for
initially roping in chaos.

It's moderately different if there is SOME methodology to the filing and
naming process for the documents. In that case, it is important first to
define and analyse the existing procedures.

Hopefully, the organisation isn't blindly following Six Sigma and has some
thinking heads in charge. If it doesn't, more time is spent looking at
problems and analysing them than fixing them and soon the standard answer
to all change requests is "No, it costs too much to analyse".

IMO, Six Sigma should be reserved for production processes where
disruption could be potentially dangerous for the company or product or
complex systems where the in-house experts cannot agree on what is broken
or how it is best fixed.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer (Six Sigma Analyst 1)

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les présentes avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systems d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(See attached file: C.htm)
&gt; I'm not sure what Kathleen is looking for. She said her Six Sigma<br>
&gt; greenbelt project was to fix the help...not COULD it be, but that
it<br>
&gt; was. If it is the project, then it needs to be done according to the<br>
&gt; Six Sigma guidelines.<br>
</tt></font>
isn't a Six Sigma<br>
&gt; project and whether any of the proposed solutions will work or not
is<br>
&gt; a crapshoot.<br>
</tt></font>
The temple is built and all must worship it...</tt></font>
system, identifying bottlenecks, and evaluating proposed changes. Not for
initially roping in chaos.</tt></font>
to the filing and naming process for the documents. In that case, it is
important first to define and analyse the existing procedures.</tt></font>
Six Sigma and has some thinking heads in charge. If it doesn't, more time
is spent looking at problems and analysing them than fixing them and soon
the standard answer to all change requests is &quot;No, it costs too much
to analyse&quot;.</tt></font>
where disruption could be potentially dangerous for the company or product
or complex systems where the in-house experts cannot agree on what is broken
or how it is best fixed.<br>
Eric L. Dunn<br>
Senior Technical Writer (Six Sigma Analyst 1)<br>
This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized
to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is
in use and will browse through incoming emails. <br>
Thank you. <br>
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut contenir
des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à l&#8217;usage
exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par les présentes
avisée qu&#8217;il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le distribuer ou
le reproduire. Si vous l&#8217;avez reçu par inadvertance, veuillez nous en
aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note qu'une solution antipollupostage
(AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la sécurité de nos systems d'information
et qu'elle furètera les courriels entrant.<br>
Merci. <br>
</tt></font>