Re: Delivery of online help with a J2EE application

Subject: Re: Delivery of online help with a J2EE application
From: "Rick Sapir" <rick -dot- sapir -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:09:40 -0400

For web-based J2EE apps, I've used OHW (Oracle Help for the Web). The help system is typically deployed as an EAR (which wraps the WAR and JAR files).

See http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/help/index.html for details.

HTH,

-R

>Hello, I'm new to this site and hoping someone can help us. We are

delivering online help (HTML generated with WebWorks) for a software

application that is delivered as a WAR file and deployed on an application

server, such as Apache Tomcat or IBM WebSphere. Our HTML files have always

been built into the WAR file.

>Our development team tells us that it is not standard for help files to be

embedded within the application itself. Now we are moving to a new

configuration, where the HTML files for our help will be delivered as a

separate WAR file. Our clients will have to deploy both the application and

the help WAR files in order for the help to be up and running. If the client

wants the help files to be served by their web server instead of the

application server, they change a parameter in the application's web

descriptor (web.xml) and put the HTML files on the web server.

>Is this a typical configuration? We are worried about the additional

complexity and the possibility for our clients to not deploy the help WAR

file and thus have a broken link to the help system. If someone with

experience delivering online help in a similar environment could share their

experiences, we would really appreciate it.