Source control

Subject: Source control
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:11:02 -0400

Hey all!

My company has been looking at source control systems to replace,
corporate-wide, the mish-mash of systems that the various
acquired companies and offices have been using. Rumor has
it that they're settling on MKS.

Does anybody know what MKS can do that Subversion cannot?

I figure that Subversion is the system most widely used
by open-source projects the world over. So it stands to
reason that:

a) it is adept at handling and controlling input from
thousands of contributors scattered across 24 timezones.

b) it is adapted and improved constantly, and on a much
quicker and more flexible schedule than proprietary systems.

So, other than the privilege of paying license fees to
Mortise Kern, what would be the real-world advantages
of MKS over Subversion (or another open-source solution)?

I'm not a developer, just the writer, but I'd like to
have some idea of why one system or another is being
chosen, since I'm going to be stuck with it. Such
questions don't get answered down to my lowly level.

Kevin