RE: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help?

Subject: RE: Index/TOC Needed in HTML &/or Browser-Based Help?
From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

Janice Gelb wrote:
... a decade or so ago I was tasked with searching the Airplane incidents
database maintained by the FAA to find certain patterns of incidents.
While looking for incidents involving dogleg runways, I found out how many
small-plane accidents and incidents are caused by untethered dogs in the
cabin. Apparently lots of bush pilots and their customers transport
dogs around Alaska by air. Dogs have VERY creative ways of disrupting
those flights.

After living in Alaska for 20 years, I can attest to what Janice
says...but, it's not only dogs. During fishing season, it is not unsual
to sit in a plane where the passenger cabin has been shortened, so they
can pack salmon in the aft section. A lot of the "fresh" wild salmon you
get at the local market or your favorite restaruant started it's journey
on Alaska Airlines. (BTW...the best are Copper River Reds. Once you've
had some, you'll never be able to eat "farmed" salmon again.)

As for dogs, I remember once when I was covering the Yukon Quest for
television and we were at the airstrip in Eagle. A musher had just
scratched and sold his sled so he could fly his dogs to Dawson City where
his truck was located. (The roads in and out of Eagle, AK are snowed in
all winter.) He rented a DeHavilland Beaver (big bush plane), packed his
10 sled dogs (about 60 pounds each) inside along with his gear. jumped in
the co-pilots seat and off they went. I reluctantly waited to mooch a
ride on the next bush plane flying in that direction. I love dogs, but
with 10 dogs not familiar to flying free to run around the plane...
WaaaaaHoooooo just doesn't even describe the fun they were having.

Al