Re: sharing an office

Subject: Re: sharing an office
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 01:54:24 -0700

On Monday 22 May 2006 15:32, Geoff Lane wrote:
> On Monday, May 22, 2006, quills -at- airmail -dot- net wrote;
>
> > Or perhaps you boss has an interpretation of this "regulation" that is
> > not being passed on to.
>
> ---
>
> 30 inches per person? There are two people for who that space is an
> escape route. I suspect the boss might be interpreting the requirement
> to mean that each must have 30 inches (i.e. five foot gap) so that
> they can escape simultaneously.
>
> That said, it's only a hunch sparked by experience of pedantic
> jobsworths!

I get a pretty clear picture of why OSHA, if not the fire marshall, would
require an emergency egress route to be sized to make it possible for
everyone in the room to get out without climbing over furniture or each
other.

But what about widening the office doorway to 60"? No? Hmm. But anyway,
there is still a fair case for doing what can readily be done, to make the
office a safer place during a general emergency. To this end, office mates
could stage OSHA drills, and practice to train themselves to stay calm and
cooperative in getting out together.

All standard disclaimers etc.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com