RE: Documentation Architect...is there really such a creature?

Subject: RE: Documentation Architect...is there really such a creature?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: <j_goldstein -at- juno -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:24:21 -0700

I would think that I'd been promoted.

I know that the title "Information Architect" exists at IBM. It
apparently is for high-level individual contributors(ICs).

This is typical for Silicon Valley at least; most companies have a
dual-path hierarchy of titles. The management titles are usually
reserved for people who have people reporting to them. The IC titles are
for people who don't have "reports" or don't do evaluations.

For example, I know one company that has this management hierarchy (sort
of):

supervisor
senior supervisor
manager
senior manager
director
senior director
VP
Senior VP

and this IC hierarchy

junior <x>
<x>
senior <x>
principal <x>
consulting <x>
<x> architect

In the good ol' days, HP had a much more flat "title" system. It
basically went

project manager
section manager
lab manager/marketing manager/support manager/manufacturing
manager/finance manager
division manager
group manager
bill and dave

As far as I remember, there were only junior engineers, engineers, and
senior engineers

all of the hierarchy stuff was limited to performance/salary evaluation,
and kept rather secret.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.