RE: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions

Subject: RE: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:34:44 -0500

Why are manhole covers round?

Engineer's answer: Because they found out that this was the best design to
use, from an engineering standpoint. It was strongest, sturdiest, and used
the least amount of material.

Liberal Arts Graduate: I know. I understand. I would have done it
differently. Anyway, let's talk about why this is so...

Technical Communication person: To cover the round holes.

Seriously, I always thought that this kind of question was supposed to give
the interviewee a chance to talk and express freely, within limits. So I'd
say that as an answer, 'to cover the round manholes' is good if the person
is using it to discuss the fairly nonsensical topic with some good sense.
And without wordiness.