Re: More Friday Fun: Archie Bunker-style mangled expressions

Subject: Re: More Friday Fun: Archie Bunker-style mangled expressions
From: Amy Gale <amyg -at- grammatech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:51:35 -0400

Ron Hearn wrote:

The Yahoo discussion boards are filled with misspelled and mangled words
and expressions. I just saw one that says those people who don't support
President Bush are "traders". Another says that "Libs are really testing
my patients". It doesn't say what they are testing for.

Ron

Also, a lot of people are said to be "retarted".
Which is hardly fair. Some of us haven't even been tarted once.

I find this kind of error somewhat interesting from a linguistic standpoint. Two of the various spelling mistakes I see Americans make that I have never seen a NZer make:

* retarted[retarded]
I think this is because we don't tend to flap "t" in
word-medial position, so don't get t/d mixed up.
(Like traders[traitors], I guess.)

* do[due] as in "I need to utilize a new paradigm do to X"
These are not homonyms for us. (The pullet-surprise link gives
mute[moot], which is similar.)

NB: I am not saying NZers spell perfickly. I'm saying our mistakes are different.

Amy