Attention dead tree consumers

Subject: Attention dead tree consumers
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:05:51 -0400

For those of you who send manuals out to be printed or who print them in-house...

On a publishing list the other day, a self-publishing author who had typeset her own math text (using TeX) had gotten page proofs back from the printer. She asked what she should be looking for.

In response, I offered a short checklist, off the top of my head.

Kristen King, another list member, then asked if she could post an edited version of that checklist as a "guest article" on her blog. Well, long story short, I polished it up a bit (although I'm sure it's still incomplete), and it is now live at http://inkthinker.blogspot.com/2006/05/guest-article-prove-it-yourself.html.

Meanwhile, Kristen's enthusiasm for blogging persuaded me to start my own blog, at http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/.

Comments on the article are welcome at either blog. A month from now, when I republish the article on my own blog, I'll incorporate any additions suggested in comments.

Apparently (I'm new to this blog stuff) the whole idea is to get others to post links to your stuff, because that's what gets blogs noticed by search engines. So please feel free, if you see anything of value on my blog, to link to it, and let me know if I can return the favor. I have already noticed several hits, on the Web sites I manage, coming from links I posted on my blog. As those clicks are all free, which is not the case for Google AdWords clicks, I already like blogging ;-) Now I've just got to find the right balance so I don't spend too much time at it.

Thanks to Kristen for lighting a fire under me to get started on this.

Dick Margulis
http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/
http://www.dmargulis.com/selfpublish.asp