Re: Salaries in rural areas (New England)

Subject: Re: Salaries in rural areas (New England)
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Elizabeth Sprague <elizabeth -dot- sprague -at- mgemaine -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:30:12 -0400

Elizabeth Sprague wrote:
> I'm looking for a leg up on salary information for a mid-level and
> senior tech writing with some instructional design responsibilities in
> rural New England.
> We're talking rural with a cap-R in a HUB zone.

If it's that incredibly out-of-the-way (Jonesport?), sounds to me
like salary will have less to do with statistics and more with cost
of living, pecking order, and how badly they need the services.
Also with how much of a bump they can give you without water cooler
fall-out. Secrets don't keep in small towns / companies.

Might be more useful to have an idea what others in the company are
making, since that probably dictates the range. I mean, militating
upward with stats will be easy, but they'll only pay what they'll pay.

LQ