RE: visio

Subject: RE: visio
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "obair" <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 07:29:50 -0400

Obair wrote...

> > I looked at this at the full 400% in visio, and sure enough the
arrows
> > were off.
> >
> > They looked fine at 100%.
> >
> > Once I fixed them at 400%, the PDF came out fine.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > best,
> > Paul

I noticed the thread yesterday but just thought this morning about
something that may prevent the issue you were facing in the future (may
or may not be applicable to your drawings, of course). From the
description of the problem, it sounds like you are using freehand arrows
to indicate connections between elements in your Visio chart. If you're
connecting Vision shapes, consider using the connector tool to indicate
connections in the future.

The connector tool will actually "bond" your starting and ending point
of your arrows to a handle of whatever shape(s) you're connecting. That
way, you always know the arrows are pointing to the correct place. Of
course, if you're connecting elements that don't have handles, that
makes the connector tool a less applicable option.

Another trick is to use the automatic shape alignment feature. If a
connector looks like it has a kink in it, select the two connected
shapes and align them horizontally or vertically (as applicable) and
that will straighten out a bonded connector. You may also notice
(depending on the settings in your copy of Visio) that when you drag a
shape into a grid where other shapes are already placed, you'll see
"rays" out from the new shape when it becomes aligned with another shape
in a horizontal or vertical plane.

By default, connectors will add an arrow head at the "destination" end
of the connector. If you use the tool and want an arrow to indicate
direction of flow (of the process, procedure, etc.), be sure to draw
"from" the starting element and "to" the destination element. If the
connector tool on your copy of Visio is not automatically placing arrow
heads, you may have to adjust some settings on the tool to restore it to
that default behavior.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.