RE: Corporate style guide [was: Re: Punctuating the end ofbullet points?]

Subject: RE: Corporate style guide [was: Re: Punctuating the end ofbullet points?]
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 07:37:36 -0700

I agree with you, Geoff, but...

I'm turning a group that has not used a style guide into a group that writes
to one. The beauty of a style guide is that the writers know how to handle
most stuff. When they encounter something that really won't fit, then you
know you have something to look at. But now you know you have an exception,
instead of a writer who just does it this way because s/he want to.

Of course, fighting with writers who simply don't like the style guide
(because they did things differently in their other jobs or what ever) is
also fun. Like I care what you think about the style guide. It's the style
guide, write to it. Move on to other, more important stuff.

sigh.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting