RE: Web page (intranet) dev tools

Subject: RE: Web page (intranet) dev tools
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Clare Turner'" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:47:05 -0700

Hi Clare

It's not just how well a program can code, but how well it fits into what
you need to do overall and who you're handing things off to -- if indeed you
get to do that.

Despite the price tag, I'd recommend Dreamweaver as you can use their
independent content management software "Contribute" and hand off parts of
the intranet to the people who actually have the information AND restrict
what they can do with it (esp if your site is built using Dreamweaver
templates). These editors just need Contribute, not Dreamweaver and you can
get the licenses in bulk.

If it's just you or someone else as experienced who will be doing the
upkeep, then it's not as critical.

Dreamweaver also has limited php, asp and cold fusion functionality, so if
your server can handle one of these and has the appropriate database, you'll
be able to do things like simple dynamic staff directory pages really easily
and build interfaces to hand at least that kind of thing off for upkeep by
other people. (Do you see a pattern here? Building websites are much more
fun than maintaining websites!)

Not Frontpage. Shiver. Taught that to content editors for local government
-- 16 people who ranged from receptionists to engineers. I still have
nightmares about it.

Not familiar with Nvu and AuthorIt.

Plain html -- usually a waste of resources unless you put your first webpage
up before search engines were necessary AND have kept up with the many
changes.

:-)

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

I've been charged with developing an intranet for my company. We currently
have nothing in place. I'd prefer not to do this in 'pure' html.

SO, whirlers - pls give me a quick 'vote' or ranking on the following...if
you had limited funds to develop an intranet (say less than $200), which of
the following would you select (oh, we're a Win XP
setup):

1. Frontpage
2. Dreamweaver
3. AuthorIt
4. Nvu (price is right, but is it robust?)
5. Just use html
6. Anything else?

Clare L. Turner