RE: How far do you go?

Subject: RE: How far do you go?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>, Joanne Grey <jgrey -at- Brocade -dot- COM>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

> I find cross-references annoying. The best solution from the user's
> perspective is one integrated source of info. But I realize, of

Rita..yes, cross references should be avoided when there is an
alternate method. However, many times, cross references are the best
way to go.

We talk about creating documentation that gives the best balance of
depth for the reader, and we acknowledge that many times we either
don't know the audience or we have to write for multiple audiences.
Cross references are the way to address that.

Create the main content to address the advanced user. In doing that,
we'll be assuming knowledge of a number of things. Cross references
are how we include all the information that a less advanced user
needs to know. The advanced reader can skip over the reference and
the lesser knowledgeable user has access to a wide range of knowledge
at the place where they need it.

Another place where I use cross references is to direct the reader to
large amounts of knowledge that are used only in specific instances.
Examples of this might be when the name of a database or .net object
is mentioned. Cross reference that database or object to the data
dictionary or API documentation. Only 1 out of 10 may need access to
the database primary key information or method command line syntax,
but when they do, getting to it quickly will be appreciated.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"So long and thanks for all the fish."