RE: Frame to Word

Subject: RE: Frame to Word
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:32:24 -0500

Paul wrote:
>> This is needed by our company to avoid the significant expense
>> of having a translation company spend many hours formatting
>> our ugly Word docs that come straight out of Frame.

Paul -

Is there a reason why you/they need Word files? The translation
companies that I work with handle Frame files with no problem, and it's
a common application for long documents that are translated (such as
user guides).

If the translators are telling you that they "don't do Frame files,"
then my suggestion is to find another translation vendor. They need to
accommodate YOU, not the other way around.

My documents are translated into 28 languages -- all but one or two of
the languages stay in Frame. Frame doesn't play nice with Arabic at all
(a right-to-left [RTL] language), so I gave them the option of
converting the content for that language to another program, such as
Word or InDesign. Instead, the translation company found a way to make
it work by modifying the maker.ini file and other settings and they have
Frame working in an RTL environment, which it was never designed to do.

Carla Martinek, Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
333 Corporate Woods Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
tel: 847.793.5616 fax: 847.821.1795
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.