Re: [CE-L] USAGE: alright all right

Subject: Re: [CE-L] USAGE: alright all right
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:32:43 -0400

Jones, Donna wrote:

Alright, alot, and till for until. [shudder] Stuff that makes me cringe!

Gee, I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record [note to self: stop referring to memes that are incomprehensible to those under forty], always pointing to AHD, but please note, regarding till:

"[Middle English, from Old English til, from Old Norse.]

"Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies.·Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect."