Re: [WAS] Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise? [IS NOW] Save as vs. Print to PDF

Subject: Re: [WAS] Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise? [IS NOW] Save as vs. Print to PDF
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: Yves Barbion <yves -dot- barbion -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:39:01 +0300

Yves,

You wrote:

yes, I am aware of the issues with "Save as PDF" from FrameMaker, but I haven't had any of them yet (and I even have to create Enfocus Certified PDFs). Of course, two things are crucial in the Frame-to-PDF process:
* Correct settings of the Adobe PDF printer driver instance
* Correct Adobe PDF Settings (formerly known as Job Options) in Acrobat Distiller

I'm following Dov's recommendations here, which may be the reason why I didn't have any problems. ;-)

One thing which still puzzles me about the Frame-to-PDF process: the difference in speed. I did the test with a 100-page FrameMaker book:
* Print to PDF took 5 minutes (especially the Distiller part, PS to PDF, was "slow").
* Save as PDF took 1 minute.

Can you explain what's happening "behind the scenes"? Indeed, like you said, FrameMaker does not produce native PDF.

Consider yourself lucky that you have not encountered problems. I have seen many problematic PDFs created with the Save as PDF (including aspects I did not mention in my original message, such as related to graphic output). It is true that using Adobe PDF (Acrobat Distiller) printer driver in conjunction with the Save as PDF option reduces some of these problems, but having to change drivers for this purpose kind of defeats the "single click" PDF creation approach.

I am not aware of any driver settings or Distiller job options that make the "Save as PDF" function reliable or resolve all the problems I mentioned.

I recommend printing to a PS file and distilling (using the Adobe PDF driver). Printing to the PDF port (i.e. having the 'print to file' un-checked) also has issues with cross-file links. In the systems I use, the speed of printing & distilling vs Save as PDF or printing to the PDF Port seems similar.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat