Re: Tracking hits to PDFs on the web?

Subject: Re: Tracking hits to PDFs on the web?
From: "Ed Wurster" <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Tom Johnson" <thj -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 03:03:09 -0400

Tom Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone know how to track hits to PDFs on the web?

> Most stat counters require a bit of HTML code on a web page to measure hits.
> But a good portion of our help files are PDFs, and we want to begin tracking
> hits. If you have any workarounds or good tools for this, please let me
> know.

If the host offers a decent stats package, then the answer may be
there for you already. For instance, AWStats (an online resource
provided by the host) shows me that PDF files have been hit twice this
month. I can also drill down and find the specific file, and how many
hits.

If you're looking for more detail on each PDF file, then you may need
to download the raw log file and analyze it each month with a stats
package that gives you required detail for each PDF file. For
instance, you may be interested in the IP address.

Another alternative is to analyze the log file with Excel or something similar.

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)