Re: (no subject)

Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:11:43 +0100

On Tuesday, April 11, 2006, Stacia Marlett wrote;

> Plus there wouldn't be any way to track it back to a particular help
> topic if they use their email client to send us feedback.

If you specify a subject in the querystring for the mailto link, most
e-mail clients will use that in the Subject header of the message. Of
course, the user can modify the default subject, but many (if not
most) would not. You can also include some default body text for the
message (although some e-mail clients won't use that).

For example,
mailto:nobody -at- invalid -dot- null?subject=TopicID-123&body=Help%20Please

> Perhaps a mail form is the way to go, making them select which help
> topic was unhelpful. It'd be two or three fields max.
---
I'd be very careful with mail forms that can be accessed over the
Internet because they can be vulnerable to things like header
injection attacks. Spammers can use vulnerable form handling scripts
as open relays, which can cause you a lot of grief as your server gets
black-listed. Search the Internet for "form header injection attack"
for more information.

HTH,

--
Geoff