RE: Software Translation Headaches

Subject: RE: Software Translation Headaches
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:33:29 -0700

I hope you take a two-pronged approach on this one. One effort being to move
the problem upstream to the development stage and remind the developers that
the software is to be internationalized (or localized) therefore they need
to take this into consideration when creating buttons and other aspects of
the interface that will be translated. Depending on the language, you may
need 10%-20% more space. It is easier to design for translation than to
squeeze text into a small space.

Second, your idea to make use of icons is a good one. Don't forget to use
tooltips where possible as well. Find out if there are standard icons for
the culture you're translating for. What products currently use such
graphics and what do they look like? Be sure to test your chosen icons on a
represenatative user group.
--Beth