Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise?

Subject: Move from Ventura to FrameMaker wise?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:13:52 -0400

Anonymous Poster wondered: <<I have a prospective client who is considering moving from Ventura to FrameMaker. Their documentation contains text and tables, is broken up by chapters, and does not have any graphics. Before proceding with the project, she would like to know if there are advantages of moving to FrameMaker, or if it would better for them just to stick with Ventura.>>

The first question to ask whenever you're considering a software change is the following: "What problems are we trying to solve?" If the answer is "there are no particular problems", then why ever would you want to fix what isn't broken? Keep using what works until it stops working, or you see clear future signs that it will soon stop working.

Of course, if there _are_ problems, the question changes to something more useful: "We are currently facing the following problems: A, B, and C. Would moving to [Frame or whatever] solve these problems?" If the change would solve your problems, you can then move the discussion forward by explaining the nature of the work you're doing and asking whether such a move would introduce new problems, and whether the advantages that result from the switch justify the hassle of dealing with those new problems.

My advice: Collect the necessary information, as specified above, and ask your question again. Without more details, the responses are likely to boil down to "yes, Frame can handle pretty much anything you want it to handle, so why are you asking us?"

www.geoff-hart.com