Re: Overuse of gerunds in headings

Subject: Re: Overuse of gerunds in headings
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:36:39 +1000

Peter Neilson wrote:

Janice Gelb wrote:

This situation happens when writers are told that
all headings must be parallel.

I have encountered such things from inferior editorial
workers who have only the rules but no "ear" for good
writing. It's important to fight back against bad
editors. Of course you occasionally find that the editor
somehow has the final say on printed copy and that
your excellent (but non-"standard") prose has been
regularized into something that looks pretty but is
in error, and that it happened after you had approved
the final material.

I hope I can contribute to a positive view of
my profession if I reveal that I'm an editor
but still wrote in the part of the message you
didn't quote that "'Introduction to' or 'Overview
of' and the like should be exceptions to
overzealous consistency." :->

-- Janice