RE: Acronyms, abbreviations and initalisms

Subject: RE: Acronyms, abbreviations and initalisms
From: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:19:24 -0500

Since I have been working for a NATO contractor...I am sick of anything that even remotely resembles an acronym or initialism...heck even my email here has been reduced to my three initials, which some would think is an acronym! GRRRRR

Melissa Ann Nelson...now reduced to MAN :)

From: "David Tinsley" <dtinsley -at- ndigital -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Subject: Acronyms, abbreviations and initalisms
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:23:13 -0500

Am I the only person who gets irritated when initalisms are incorrectly
described as acronyms? The distinction is quite obvious and simple and
yet time after time I see lists of "acronyms" that are initialisms and
this from technical communicators. The latest example I have just seen
is on the last page of April 06 Intercom magazine.

Just a Friday rant!

David

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/melmis36%40hotmail.com