RE: Online Manuals of Style

Subject: RE: Online Manuals of Style
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:54:41 +0200

Dan,

You wrote:

How strange. The 3rd edition of the Microsoft Manual of Style was
already available as an easy-to-use CHM file. Why would they create an
e-book?

The CHM version indeed reflects the 2nd edition, even though it says "version 3.0".

Strange indeed. The CHM is certainly very convenient for the user. Why they discontinued the CHM in favor of a PDF I cannot answer. My question is -- regardless of what their reasons were, why should we be content with a non-interactive PDF?

Quite apart from having no links: as this PDF was created as a single PDF for the entire book, it does not utilize the potential benefits of Acrobat's search mechanism. Had this been a collection of separate PDFs, each with its own unique title (and possibly keywords), Acrobat Search could have yielded results similar to or better than those of the CHM search. With the "entire book = single PDF" approach, the reader is confined to clueless, serial jumps in a long document.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars