Re: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation

Subject: Re: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:28:30 +0530

Dummies books generally seem to be written by people who are experts on the
topic. That explains the very thorough and comprehensive coverage of subject
matter. The humor and style, though, is almost exclusively American.

Unlike US English, which tends to be closer to plain language than other
forms of English, US "style", specially *humor*, carries cultural and
lifestyle undercurrents that can leave an outsider... well..., outside. To
such readers, reading Dummies books can seem to be like going for nuggets in
a haystack - not quite needles, but lots of hay anyway.

--------

I've read and recommended some Dummies books to people. Then I moved to the
"Teach yourself <whatever> in 24 hours" series. Now I prefer working with
vanilla, standards-style documentation.

When I need a very basic understanding of a topic, I go to
www.howstuffworks.com, or use Google.

--------

Edwin