RE: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation

Subject: RE: why I like the Dummies books - was Boring documentation
From: Steven Jong <SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:52:08 -0500

In addition to buying some Dummies books, I have proofread some Dummies books. From my perspective, the successful ones marry a subject newbies would legitimately wonder about (say, Wine For Dummies--though I haven't read that book and am not endorsing it) with a writer who can pull off the style. I have seen titles in the series that are simply too complex, or written by someone who can't write humor and instead lards the material with desperate gags and japes. Face it--not everyone can write humor.