Re: Terminology question

Subject: Re: Terminology question
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:16:31 -0800

On Thursday 23 March 2006 10:22, Janice Gelb wrote:
> JBlom -at- ricoh-europe -dot- com wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am searching for a term and wondered if someone here has had a similar
> > occurence.
> >
> > A short background - this term is for a parameter in a printer
> > application that ... ensure that all warnings on individual printers
> > given in a timely manner to the administrator, depending on when the
> > administrator wants to be
> > told of certain errors. We are searching for a term that describes a
> > group of parameters where
> > each parameter must be configured as to importance, but can be grouped in
> > different groups
> > of printers and parameters.
>
> If I'm understanding what you are describing correctly,
> I've seen these called "alarm thresholds": admins can
> indicate that when a parameter reaches a particular
> level or setting, a notification is sent.
>
> -- Janice

I agree with Janice that "threshold" is a specific term that describes the
type of parameter you've indicated.

If you still need a word that captures these adjustable-value parameters, I
(as a printer repair man in a past life), would consider using the more
general term "settings" or a more specific term based on it, like "printer
settings" or "printer warning settings." With this approach, all of the
printer's adjustable parameters will index together in the alphabetic index
under a commonly-used term.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com