I like the Dummies books (and VWs)

Subject: I like the Dummies books (and VWs)
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:47:06 -0500

I have multiple Dummy's and Idiot's guides.

Once upon a time I owned the "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-By-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot" and loved it.

I'm mechanically disiclined and didn't have the money (starving student) to pay someone else to fix my old VW bus. Some considered me a 'girly girl,' but I was also independent enough to borrow friends' tools and get dirty and greasey fixing things (if I had to). Usually, fixing The Bus would turn out to be a group effort and quite a social occasion. I think everyone I knew was on an old VW kick. They were easy and fun to fix--at least, with the book.

These days I live a much cushier life and let someone else fix my (2005) Volkswagen. But I still like Idiot's and Dummy's books and consider them an example of tech comm progress.

Go ahead, raise your hand if you, too, owned an old VW. Raise two if you had the same book!

;)
Arroxane