Re: Interesting book on Management Consulting

Subject: Re: Interesting book on Management Consulting
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Amanda <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:18:59 -0500

On 3/21/06, Amanda <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> While I realize that this is a tech writing list, I am currently working on
> tech writing for management consulting and stumbled across this book as I
> was researching today....

(snip)

My, that is some purple prose. I'm sure that McKinsey, Bain, and BCG
are all shaking in their collective boots. :-)

Complaints about the management consulting industry are as old as the
industry itself, and the jokes ("A consultant is a guy who'll steal
your watch to tell you what time it is") exist for a reason.

I've worked in IT consulting for a long time, which is rather a
different thing, but I've seen enough successful *management
consulting* engagements to realize that, while abuses certainly exist,
it's far from the universal scam that this tabloid-journalist-wannabe
author wants to make it out to be. Sometimes, an outsider is in a
unique position to speak truth to power (for example) and tell them
something that they wouldn't listen to or accept from their own staff.

What we have here is some guy trying to sell a book (who evidently
couldn't get a distribution deal with an actual publisher and went the
vanity press route), and who apparently also noticed that, these days,
yelling and ranting and generally catering to people with short
attention spans gets you noticed. Good for him. Hope he sells a lot
of books on his web site.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
Voice: 212.807.1836 | Mobile: 646.498.3518 | Fax: 866.522.7270