Work from home (Telecommute)

Subject: Work from home (Telecommute)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Hina vaswani <hinavaswani -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 17:07:01 -0500

Hina vaswani wondered: <<I am a Technical Writer and Editor (ODA) with 6 years of work experience... We have moved from Bloomington, IL to Spain, Europe after my 1st born last year. My husband's entire family resides here, hence the move... I need advice on how to start approaching company's in the USA?>>

The standard advice is always the same: find a field you want to work in (e.g., software vs. pharmaceutical vs. insurance), find a company you want to work for, research it well enough to know what they do and who is doing it, then contact the people who are doing it to tell them which of their problems you're going to solve and why you believe you're the person to solve those problems. (Remember, it's not about you: it's about them. "What's in it for us?" is the question you need to answer.)

But let's take a step back and ask a different question: If you're living in Spain, why not look for work locally? I'm sure there are plenty of Spanish companies looking for experienced workers with skill in English who can help them localize documents for the American market, and since you mentioned your last employer was State Farm, why not check whether they have a Spanish office? Why not talk to Spanish insurance companies to see if they have need of someone familiar with the insurance business?

www.geoff-hart.com