Re: RoboHelp or WebWorks ePublisher for Word 2000 and FrameMaker 6?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp or WebWorks ePublisher for Word 2000 and FrameMaker 6?
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:09:18 -0500

> Indeed a CHM may be a CHM, but take a look at what folks are accustomed to
> with WebHelp. Now compare the RoboHelp WebHelp output to the new "Accordian
> view" that Flare puts forth. These are definitely not the same. I'm not sure
> about merging. I don't believe it's currently possible with either output.
> However, I could be wrong about the .CHM format. Maybe Flare can merge .CHM
> files.

I don't know much with regard to merging CHMs with either RH or Flare,
but it's always possible to do this outside the HAT.

> Out of curiosity, what exactly is a "Document as Help source" mentality?

Authoring in a more "long document" manner, where multiple topics
exist in one source file.

> I didn't say it was difficult to learn. What I said (or, more accurately,
> meant to imply) was that if one was accustomed to RoboHelp's UI, moving to
> Flare isn't as easy as dropping one and picking up the other. Don't expect
> to seamlessly walk into a productive mode right away. Actually, I tried to
> imply that it is probably easier to use if one has never seen RoboHelp. ;)

Moving from any one tool to any other requires planning. The more you
know about your existing infrastructure and the more you know about
where you want to go, the easier it will be to plan and migrate. So it
*could* be possible to walk into a productive mode right away
depending on when you consider your starting point to be.

> While it's true that Macromedia was very quiet as far as RoboHelp was
> concerned, I see that Adobe wants to: "discuss the current capabilities and
> future directions for these important products". Coupled with the simple
> fact that Adobe is actually planning on an appearance at the event, this in
> and of itself seems to speak favorably for the future of both products.

Possibly. We don't know. They could be saving face from the lack of
attendance by Macromedia last year, too. We don't know, and given
Adobe's tendency to clam up until a month prior to doing something, we
won't know until a month before they actually do something. ;-) All we
can do now is speculate.

> My bottom line is that I'm in no way attempting to sway users one way or the
> other. I think Flare is a terrific product and I do wish them all the best
> with it. But RoboHelp it certainly isn't. And a great many folks will step
> into it with the expectation that it operates, looks and feels very similar
> to RoboHelp. It doesn't. I think the fact that Flare was developed by all
> the former RoboHelp developers tends to lead folks to this conclusion or
> expectation.

Agreed on expectations. But that's a "shame on them" to all the people
who buy it without doing their research first. ;-)

> I'm sure there are many underlying technical reasons it looks and behaves as
> it does and we will never know the true extent of why certain things are as
> they are. I just feel folks should be prepared for a rather dramatic shift
> in look, feel and work habits if they are moving in that direction. Heck, I
> still encounter folks in my RoboHelp HTML classes that are totally clueless
> of Style Sheets and why they might benefit from using them.

Absolutely. People should be doing their due diligence to learn, not
just expect a tool to do the work for them.

> I suppose I too support Char James-Tanny for STC Secretary or whatever
> undertaking she chooses. Char is a great lady. Why is it that everyone is
> sporting that sig line these days? Is it a voting system?

Well, I can speak for anyone else, but the STC allows endorsements for
candidates, and I think Char will be a positive voice on the STC board
of directors.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736