Re: Job chosing dillemma

Subject: Re: Job chosing dillemma
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "DanG" <dangarza -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:45:23 -0800

The first thing I would do is discount both employers' mention of
"possible" perm positions as selection factors (they're both birds in
bush vs in your hand). Since neither employer's job description is
sufficiently more attractive than the other's to be the deciding factor
(or you would have decided already), it appears to come down to
W2 or 1099. Since they're both the same rate and you don't say
anything about the W2 company offering benefits, I'd tend to favor
the 1099 and its associated tax deductions.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "DanG" <dangarza -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com>

I have to choose between two employers for a tech writing assignment. One is
1099 the other uses a W2 at the same rate. The W2 is a major oil company
that wants permanent employee later on if I'm right, the other promises more
work later, a pay raise and a possible perm position. The W2 job wants me to
do basically network, configuration documentation with no real new tools to
learn, the other is more cutting edge with online tools like robohelp, and
chart FX, etc...