RE: Friday Questions (several)

Subject: RE: Friday Questions (several)
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Sharyn Weizman" <SharynW -at- fundtech -dot- co -dot- il>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:32:08 -0500

Sharyn Weizman asked...

> Here is a list long of Friday TECHWHRL questions. I hope they spur some
> input.
>
> 1. What newsletters do you subscribe to (technical, language-related,
> misc.)?

If you mean periodicals and not online sources, I am a member of the STC, so I get the Intercom on a monthly basis, the STC Journal quarterly, and a monthly newsletter from the Orlando Chapter (online PDF distribution). I don't currently get any other work-related journals or newsletters, but I may start to in the summer when I begin taking classes for an M.A. degree.

Light Reading (www.lightreading.com); BizJournals.com; TechWeb Encyclopedia; Whatis.com; SkyREPORT.com; Telecom Web; TELEPHONY Magazine; Multichannel News; Wikipedia; Merriam-Webster Online; TECHWHR-L Home Page

> 3.  What diversions do you subscribe to or regularly access?  How much
> time a day do you feel is justified in accessing/reading these kinds of
> things? (A former team leader suggested 5 minutes for every hour.)

TECHWR-L -- I classify it as a "diversion" because 90% of the posts are not immediately relevant. I spend about 30 minutes in the morning (starting around 7:15am) reading overnight and older posts; then a couple of times a day I skim through the accumulated posts. I delete most, archive a fraction for future / ongoing reference, and respond to even fewer. In all, I would say I spend about an hour on this.

Pandora Internet Radio (www.pandora.com) I have a battery of about 20 stations I've created, and I usually set one in the morning when I log on and change the station after lunch to something else. Total time is about 1 minute, though the music plays in the background all day (speakers or headphones if the area gets really noisy).

At lunch time I usually will spend 15 - 30 minutes working the puzzle on my NYT 365-day Crossword Puzzle calendar and post the finished puzzle on my corkboard in my cube. Sometimes I will work on older puzzles when I'm vexed with trying to work out a solution to a documentation issue or my eyes just get tired of focusing on the screen. Maybe I'll spend a total of 45 minutes a day on this, including the time during lunch.

I'm taking a ballroom dancing class, so I sometimes practice steps in my cube when I need to stretch my legs--maybe 10 minutes a day.

I don't think I spend an excessive amount of time on these items.

> 4. And perhaps to put everything in proportion, how many hours a week were
> you hired to work and do you actually work?

I am salaried--so I'm hired to do 40 hours of work. However, I'm usually in the office 45 - 50 hours on a normal week--significantly more when crunch time comes on a big project.

> Thanks for sharing and TGIF,

Thanks for asking.