Re: Warnings at front of document

Subject: Re: Warnings at front of document
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:30:48 -0500

I jettisoned the perennial"About this manual" chapter long ago as unnecessary, but there is a place and purpose for legal information and safety warnings. It may be in a preface rather than as part of the first chapter. Include it in the index so people can find it if they need it. Necessary safety warnings, of course, should be up front and highly visible. Legal folderol that is for CYA purposes can be placed somewhere unobtrusive. Check with your legal department to ensure you are not opening a liability loophole. If there are no legal or safety considerations, i.e., the information is not necessary, then cut it gladly.
--Beth

David Tinsley wrote:

In the prelim. pages we list all the warnings and cautions that appear
in the body of the manual. I can see no reason for this and I am
considering dropping the practice. Before I do I thought I would tap
into the collective experience of this list just to make sure I am not
about to make a legal blunder!

What do you all do?
--
Beth Agnew