Re: Most annoying word

Subject: Re: Most annoying word
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:53:23 -0500

I, too, grew up in the 80s/90s and acquired such nasty speech habits... as a survival tool! No one in school understands you when you use proper English!

And, yet, despite my verbal (nounal and adjectival) abuse of the language, I learned communication skills, several foreign languages, and have an MA in English/Tech Writing. And neither of my parents even have a college degree, let alone could explain why "ain't ain't a word."

You have to learn your audience, even as a kid/teen. Watch what happens when your 14-year-old uses a multisyllabic word to a drug-dealing gang-banging punk-wannabe classmate. Or worse... to a teacher who hasn't the vocabulary of an invertebrate!

:)
Arroxane, playing devils' advocate again