RE: Most annoying word

Subject: RE: Most annoying word
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:17:09 -0600

How about the misuse of the tiny little words "I" and "me"? It makes me
cringe when I hear people do it.

[wrong] Dan took Chris and I out to lunch.

[right] Dan took Chris and me out to lunch.

I think some people were corrected too many times as a kid for saying,
"My brother and me are going outside to play." That doesn't make all
instances of the words "and me" wrong!

<grammar lesson>If you can't remember which word to use, split it apart
into two sentences. That makes it pretty clear which word you should use
in the combined sentence. These two uses are obviously wrong when you do
that:

Dan took Chris out to lunch. Dan took I out to lunch.

My brother is going outside to play. Me is going outside to play.
</grammar lesson>

I'm enjoying this thread way too much. [sigh] Oh well. Back to work!

- Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.