Re: Documenting SOPs?

Subject: Re: Documenting SOPs?
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Gildemeister, Sherrian" <Sherrian -dot- Gildemeister -at- sogeti -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:55:15 -0800 (PST)

Sherrian:

Are you looking to just documnt your IT procedures
using text or text with flow-chart-like graphics?

Procedural information, whether called SOPs or
otherwise, can be documented at a high level using
graphics or at a detail level with text. A
combination can also be used.

A Couple Points:

* The more asynchronous your procedures (i.e., many
things potentially happening at the same time and/or
many decision branchings) the less appropriate is just
using text.

* The bigger your system(s) of interacting
procedures, the more flow-chart graphics need to be
used.

If you have a need related to the first above listed
point, contact me off-line, as the solution involves a
technique that is taboo to mention on this listserv.

Dissucssion on the second point is available through
numerous books - none of which I can currently recall.

Tony Markos

Note: I do not know about Current Best Approach.

--- "Gildemeister, Sherrian"
<Sherrian -dot- Gildemeister -at- sogeti -dot- com> wrote:

Hi, folks - delurking to ask a question (and I'll
apologize if this
goes through more than once; I've had some email
problems lately?)

Can anyone point me to some resources that cover the
process of
documenting Standard Operating Procedures in an IT
environment?

Is anyone familiar with a formal distinction between
Standard Operating Procedure and Current Best
Approach, and
could anyone point me to a resource that discusses
the differences?

http://mail.yahoo.com