Re: software question

Subject: Re: software question
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:42:59 -0500

Mary Elizabeth wrote:

<>For a technical writer interested in starting freelance work,
would it make sense to purchase Adobe Creative Suite? I have the
opportunity to purchase the full suite at a student discount (my partner is
currently a graduate student), but I don’t want to purchase it if it doesn’t
make sense to have it.

Check out the license agreement first. The license police won't be knocking on your door, but you need to know where you stand with student products.

<> Is InDesign (or Acrobat/Photoshop/Illustrator, etc.) important enough for freelance technical writing to justify the expense, or would Word work just as well?

InDesign comes with Creative Suite CS2. Is it more important....depends on what the company you are contracting to specifies.

<>Are there other important software programs for general technical writers to have access to?

I have Dreamweaver, FrameMaker (with SGML), CorelDraw, WordPerfect, a high end video editor, a CD/DVD editing/burner program and never forget Freecell or Solitare for those times when those last two brain cells won't talk to each other.

Hope that helped.
--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang