RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: "Kelly M. Kremin" <kellymkremin -at- msn -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:07:46 -0600

It's the rare situation, even in corp america, at least in my experience, that is as totally one-sided as this situation was originally described. I think in most at-work interpersonal situations everyone contributions, plays a role. (Not necessarily equally, but, still.)

One thing I always try to self-manage on is recognizing how I contribute to a bad relationship at work. This won't make a 'crazy' person turn sane, but, controlling yourself can keep you off the radar and prevent escalation.

Over the years, I've learned that treating detestable personalities very formally in terms of manners and etiquette is a great way to create and maintain distance.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not calling the original post or the discussion into question. It's just made me think about a past difficult work relationship, its ramifications years down the line and my lightbulb moment as to my own culpability.