RE: Bulleted list Format?

Subject: RE: Bulleted list Format?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:36:46 -0000

> I know that this isn't a great question, but please give me some
> guidance. I
> see two different methods for formatting bullets. From the APA style, the
> bulleted list is placed flush left with the left-side margin of the
> introductory/stem paragraph/sentence. In other documents, I have seen the
> bulleted list indented from the left-side margin of the introductory/stem
> paragraph/sentence. I have no corporate style guide from which to work.
> Which of these methods is the accepted usage? I've seen both widely used.

That last sentence is the key to this. If both are widely used, then both
are "accepted usage" by a wide range of people. All you need do for your own
documents is to decide which you prefer and stick consistently to that.

I'm reminded of a time many years ago when I was on a committee writing some
European standards in the telecoms industry. This particular committee was
trying to get a harmonized European standard for transmission planning for
PBXs. During a coffee break, the German chairman asked me "Mr. West, could
you tell me somthing. In English, is the correct spelling of the word
'harmonize' with an 's' or with a 'z'?"

He was completely floored when I replied saying "Both are in the dictionary,
so both are accepted." He asked "Yes, but which one is *correct*?"

He seemed to think that somebody ought to make an executive decision about
the correct spelling, and remove the incorrect one from the dictionary. It
took considerable effort to get him to understand that English just doesn't
work that way.

Regards
Jonathan West