Re: Getting started with wiki?

Subject: Re: Getting started with wiki?
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:00:43 -0500

> 1) Group members are OK with their words being edited by anyone else
> in the group.

Yep. However...

> 2) There's no strong sense of ownership.
> 3) People do not possess strong opinions about subjects.
> 4) You don't need to see markup in intermediate documents (non-final
> pages, articles, etc).
> 5) You don't need output in anything other than plain text or HTML.

Wiki software has changed a lot over the last couple of years. For
example, TikiWiki includes permissions that can be set to prevent
pages from being edited by anyone other than the original creator. Or
that lock pages completely. And hide entire sections based on the
group the user belongs to. Or only let the Editors group edit. It also
lets users print to PDF.

And while I don't think it includes markup, it does let me compare
different versions of a page to see exactly what changes were made and
who made them. And it lets me know what pages were changed last, and
also what comments have been added.

It's really quite powerful.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki http://www.mshelpwiki.com
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Candidate for Secretary
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com