RE: sizing my header in WORD '03

Subject: RE: sizing my header in WORD '03
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Lucero, Peggy'" <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:02:02 -0800

Hi Peggy

First -- if you haven't already -- turn on the option to view paragraph
marks. You may simply have extra hard returns or line breaks in the errant
headers.

Second, for each section that you have defined a header that is different
than the one preceding it, go to File > Page Setup and make sure the
dimensions shown are what you want. Look at margins and layout (which has
the header/footer measurements. Also see if "different first page" or
"different odd and even" are checked.... gets me every time!

Third, make sure that the text in the headers use consistent custom styles
and that these styles haven't been modified in any of the incidences (will
show the modification in the formatting panel).

Where possible, use as few Word-defined sections in the document as possible
so that your headers and footers just carry on from chapter to chapter ...
You can use fields I the header and/or footer to pick up on the chapter
heading and subheadings if desired. Of course, in the front of any
reasonably complex document I find I almost always need some Word-defined
sections.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

For some reason, I am not able to get the size of my header box (on certain
pages of my document) to be uniformly the same size. Several of the
beginning pages have a very LARGE header box. How does one fix this?? I did
try to use the Left side ruler, while in the view Header Footer view, but,
though it allows some adjustments, it ultimately doesn't do what I need....
Thanks!

Peggy in Virginia

^