Re: Formality is going bye-bye?

Subject: Re: Formality is going bye-bye?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:26:08 -0500

Perhaps we're re-defining what literate means.

A recently released study "The National Assessment of Adult Literacy" (http://nces.ed.gov/NAAL/PDF/2006470_1.PDF) seems to support the argument that while more of us may be educated, we're not as educated as we used to be. The study finds that the average literacy of college educated Americans declined significantly from 1992 to 2003, but it also reveals that just 25 percent of college graduates — and only 31 percent of those with at least some graduate studies — scored high enough on the tests to be deemed “proficient” from a literacy standpoint, which the government defines as “using printed and written information to function in society, to achieve one’s goals, and to develop one’s knowledge and potential.”

Scary.

On the other hand, maybe it means a little more job security for us.

My 2¢,

John

I think that America is more literate than ever before, but it is
also more intellectually lazy than ever before. The % of population that
is sub-literate may be shrinking, but the % that acts as if it were
sub-literate is increasing. It's a lot easier to watch and read tabloids
than it is to take on a challenging topic.

Jim Guarino