Re: Techwhirlers, re: rude email

Subject: Re: Techwhirlers, re: rude email
From: Rachna Ganguli <rachna -dot- ganguli -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:57:14 +0530

Woman from India chimes in ...

I was tempted to reply a while back but then I stopped cause this is a
natural fear - esp. considering the description of the person reads
like a western wish list! But then again ...

When you are so far away, all you hear is the very good and the very
very bad. The average isn't really newsworthy. And Simpsons have Appu!

Kerala has the highest literacy in the country (not that it means a
lot to anyone else but it's a a big thing here) and is a touristy
place so they have seen "pale face." It is a big medical tourism
destination too.

As a country, this is a very welcoming place and people who can speak
English should have little trouble. But then who knows ... Murphy's
law is universal.

Kerala has elephants and snakes ... and mosquitoes, which might end up
being a deadlier animal than the one you seem to be afraid of.

If you were off to Goa, you would probably feel right at home. At
times I think there are more foreigners there than Indians!

Yes, you will be stared at but it is more out of curiosity. The real
harming types don't make things very obvious - criminals have a code
of conduct. Scary but true - I guess that's universal too.

The one thing I have to say is - keep your things carefully, trust no
one (very X-files!), if you dress like Pamela Anderson (or Fashion TV)
expect the obvious outcome.

It takes a LOT of guts to hit at a foreign woman. Many do *still* esp.
after sharing drinks at a pub, but I guess that's universal too?! :-)

You, in India usually, are what you wear and how you behave.

All the best for your Indian adventure!

~Rach

The questions people have about different cultures, esp. the eastern,
are so fascinating; ridiculous they make seem but perception is
reality.