Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**

Subject: Re: Giving a Document **One Voice**
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:22:00 -0500

I want to thank everyone for this topic, especially John for starting
it. In my current job, I am taking material written by many
individuals and standardizing it to all "sound the same". I now have
the foundation for a list of things I do to documents to give them
"one voice" which will help me to explain to others in the company,
when they wonder why it takes the time it does to bring it all
together.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find I do so many things
almost subconsciously, never taking the time to write down each step
that I perform. I really like the idea of making a note of each step,
as I do it, to form the foundation of a style guide.

In my perfect world, I won't have to do too much of this in the
future. I firmly believe in writing everything myself, and gathering
the information from the subject experts through interviews, etc. I've
had a difficult time trying to convince the powers that be that I can
write about something when I'm starting with minimal knowledge -
that's all part of a techwriter's role. I don't want to just be a
glorified font fondler.

Suzette Leeming