Re: WORD: Problems with paragraph margins

Subject: Re: WORD: Problems with paragraph margins
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:57:23 -0800

On Friday 03 February 2006 10:34, Elizabeth O'Shea wrote:

> Some of the imported text is fine, and the left align is correct. But a lot
> of it is as above. Any suggestions?

If I may patronize you for a second: Are you showing all hidden text, etc?

I've seen inexplicable things happen in Word, sorry but it ought to be said.
Solutions for inexplicableness range from changing to another view, closing
and reopening Word, reinstalling Windows,...

I'm rusty on the dynamics of HTML importing, so I don't know but I wonder
(rhetorically) if it prefers styles as defined in the HTML (any CSS or inline
styles) over styles in the template your import is attached to? Do you
specify the template when you import?

I wouldn't be surprised to find artifacts, introduced or left over from the
HTML-->Word conversion, in the imported result. So, if you don't find a
simpler answer, you might as well take a close look at the original HTML and
see what objects or modified/inline or CSS Body Text style might have come
along in the import. An extreme case would be a cell, frame, or picture with
a wide border sitting off in the negative margin, forcing the rogue position
onto the text.

Lastly, I've seen something like what you described when the text is in an
invisible table (no borders). You can style it and left align and set
margins all day long, and it will still stubbornly sit wherever the table
cell sits on the page.

Hope this helps.