RE: Work load question

Subject: RE: Work load question
From: "Phillip Gochenour" <pgochenour -at- loansoft -dot- com>
To: "Melissa Nelson" <melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:50:13 -0800

I've had various experiences. When I was contracting I always left at
the end of a project, so I had plenty of work. However, in permanent
positions my workload has largely depended on how much leeway I had to
create my own projects. In two positions where I was a copyeditor in a
strict corporate hierarchy, I had a very feast-or-famine workload, with
little ability to initiate projects on my own. In a recent part-time
tech writer job I had more options to work on my own, but it was
difficult, because of both the physical layout (I was in an office in a
different part of the building from the development group) and the
culture of the developer teams to integrate myself fully into the
department - so I left. In my current permanent job I'm a department of
one, and was hired with the explicit authority to be "entrepreneurial."
This means I've come up with three projects that should take a good year
to complete, along with other day-to-day stuff, so I expect to stay very
busy.

In general, if I'm in a position where I'm bored, don't have interesting
and challenging work to do, and don't see an opportunity to expand my
responsibilities, I leave. But that's just me.

Phil