First Thoughts on MadCap Flare

Subject: First Thoughts on MadCap Flare
From: Amy Gale <amyg -at- grammatech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 18:49:06 -0500

To begin: I want to like MadCap Flare. My company wants to like MadCap Flare. If it fixes the problems we are having with RH, we will be happy happy people.

But here are my first impressions:

1) I couldn't import my test RH project until I stripped out all the instances of
This is not a great thing to be unable to cope with!

2) It did one of the things that I find most profoundly unlovable about RH: rewrote my CSS
to something that is both technically ugly and nonequivalent. Minus a zillion points.

3) Some weirdness happened with internal anchors. For example (links and text obfuscated to protect the paranoid)

became

<a name="W" id="W"></a> correspond to X in the

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that no matter how little you trust your users, you can safely assume that nobody actually wants their anchor text de-anchored and moved to beneath the document footer. Or to have spaces between words in the text removed.

Maybe there are solutions to these things. I haven't given up hope. But I'm no longer as excited as I was this morning when I first tried to download.

*sniff*