Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use? Why not bullet?

Subject: Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use? Why not bullet?
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:55:23 -0600

I've found that most of the time I prefer to convert a sentence with a series of items into a bulleted list. It's unfailingly clear and unambiguous.

However, holding a restaurant server's feet to the fire and demanding an undeserved second beverage because the putz who typeset the menu didn't have a clue just seems kinda mean-spirited to me. Theoretically your instructor is bright enough to have known EXACTLY what was meant.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:19:59 -0500
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Subject: Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use?

The best argument I heard for including the final comma was a story
told by an instructor I had when I was getting my techical writing
certificate. She frequently would end up with an extra drink when the
menu said that the meal came with "cofee, tea or juice." because she
would point out to the management that the way the menu was punctuated
indicated to her that the meal came with a "coffee" and "tea or juice"
(rather than a single drink).