Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use

Subject: Re: Items in a Series and Comma Use
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Karen L. Zorn" <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:46:21 -0500

Karen L. Zorn wrote:

One example I've seen for mandating the use:

"My estate is to be split equally between Tom, Dick and Harry." In this
instance Tom gets 50% and Dick and Harry get 50% to argue over. If it was
presented as: "My estate is to be split equally between Tom, Dick, and
Harry." each would receive a third of the estate.

The problem is the use of the word _between_ in that non-sentence.

Any of the following would be correct:

My estate is to be split equally among Tom, Dick and Harry. [one-third to each]

My estate is to be split equally among Tom, Dick, and Harry. [one-third to each]

My estate is to be split equally between the first party, Tom, and the second party, Dick and Harry. [half to Tom, half to be split by Dick and Harry]

If a will is drafted ambiguously, then a judge will decide, not necessarily in accordance with the wishes of the person who wrote the will.